Minehead under 15s football report

Minehead under 15s were away to Wellington on Sunday and after a closely fought battle the home side held on for a 3-2 win.

Wellington started well and twice played good through balls but Ben Bloys in the Minehead goal was off his line quickly to deny the early chances. Olly Prescott linked up well with Archie Dascombe who played a good forward ball for Issac Sweetland to chase but the keeper was first to it. Wellington went 1-0 up scoring from the spot after a penalty was awarded for a trip in the box. Finley Foreman made a good run from midfield and was pulled down for a free kick, Tyler High floated the ball into the box but no none could get a shot away and it was finally cleared. Wellington came close to extending their lead after a good move down the left wing ended with a low hard strike being parried out by Ben Bloys and the rebound was blasted over. A few minutes later they did go 2-0 ahead with an almost identical move down the left but this time they found the far bottom corner of the net. Minehead pushed forward forcing a corner which was whipped in by Olly Prescott and Ajay Shopland got his head to it but it was wide of the post. Archie Dascombe and Finley Foreman were working tirelessly in midfield battling for possession, Olly Prescott played a lovely long ball over the top for Issac Sweetland who tried to clip it over the keeper but it was saved well. Another good move involving Russell Lindley, Olly Prescott, Finley Foreman and Tyler High playing in Issac Sweetland at the near post but a late challenge pushed the ball agonisingly wide. Tyler High saw his effort clear the bar then just on the stroke of half time Archie Dascombe made a great individual run into the box clipping a cross for Olly Prescott to slot it home for 2-1. Minehead came out pushing for an equaliser, Olly Prescott tried his luck from long range but was just wide, Finley Foreman then played in Olly Prescott and this time he forced the keeper to make a good save pushing out for a corner, the ball was floated in and Tom Barber got his head to it but it was just over. Tom Barber was again involved combining well with Tyler High who crossed in and Man of the Match Issac Sweetland headed wide. Minehead were then caught on the break and against the run of play Wellington went 3-1 ahead. Minehead were again on the back foot and the defence of Charlie Disney, Lewis Leach, Riley Merrick and Ajay Shopland were all having to work hard at the back to keep Wellington out. Ajay Shopland played a nice ball out of defence up the wing for Tom Barber to chase but the final shot was wide. Olly Prescott won the ball from a goal kick and got his shot away but was just wide of the far post. Archie Dascombe pulled one back to make it 3-2 with a great finish from outside the box curling it into the top corner. Callum Dewar and Lewis Leach both had to make saving tackles as Minehead pushed forward and were getting caught on the counter and although they threw everything at it for the last 10 minutes with further efforts on goal from Tyler High and Issac Sweetland but they couldn’t find that all important equaliser.

Minehead. B Bloys, A Shopland, R Merrick, L Leach, C Dewar, C Disney, F Foreman, A Dascombe, T High, O Prescott, I Sweetland, R Lindley & T Barber.

Pin It