Minehead under 15s football report

Minehead under 15s faced Staplegrove Saints at home on Sunday and after a closely fought game they secured all the points with a 4-3 win.

Both teams had started well, Minehead’s Olly Prescott, Finley Foreman and Tyler High combined well and the final shot was parried out for a corner which was subsequently headed clear. A quick counter from the visitors down the left saw a low hard shot clip the outside of the post which was then put out for a corner. The ball was only cleared to the edge of the box and then clipped back in and this time came off the bar and out for a goal kick. Minehead had a good spell of play forcing three corners and Finley Foreman came close but headed wide. A Staplegrove attack through the centre ended with another shot clipping the post, Ajay Shopland played a quick forward ball to Olly Prescott who combined well with Russell Lindley who played a great through ball for Issac Sweetland who’s neat finish put Minehead 1-0 ahead. Minehead keeper Ben Bloys was then tested at the other end and saved well, the defence of Riley Merrick, Ajay Shopland, Callum Dewar and Charlie Disney who had a good game playing out of his normal position and all were having to work hard as the away side pushed for an equaliser. This eventually came after a ball was whipped in from the left and was deflected in off a defender for an own goal. Olly Prescott saw his shot go wide of the post, Finley Foreman played a nice ball into the box for Issac Sweetland to chase but the keeper was quickly off his line to gather. Archie Dascombe was having a good game in the middle of the park seeing plenty of the ball, he linked up well with Russell Lindley who found Olly Prescott on the right who made a good run cutting inside before letting fly with a great strike which the keeper made a fine save tipping onto the bar. A long range effort from Staplegrove sailed over the bar then just before half time Archie Dascombe picked the ball up in midfield and made a charging run forward before a superb strike from about 30 yards flew into the top of the net for 2-1.

Staplegrove came out after the break changed their shape and put Minehead under some considerable pressure, Archie Dascombe, A Shopland and Riley Merrick all made a number of clearances out of the box following several corners. The away side then came close with a fierce strike that crashed against the bar then hitting the keeper but somehow stayed out. Ben Bloys was called into action again soon after and had to make another save. Finley Foreman played a fine ball to Tyler High who did well to find some space, turn and shoot and a certain looking goal floated agonisingly just wide of the post. Minehead went 3-1 up when Tyler High played a fine ball through for Ben Summersgill who did well to fend of challenges and play the ball past the keeper where a fast approaching Olly Prescott was there to slot it into an empty net. Callum Dewar made a great saving tackle in the box as Staplegrove broke with pace, a free kick soon after for the away side was floated into the box narrowly going over. A good piece of play and quick passing from Minehead involving Man of the Match Archie Dascombe, Ben Summersgill, Tyler High and Finley Foreman found Olly Prescott coming into the box from the left chipping the keeper for 4-1. Curtis Beynon-Pearce linked up well with Olly Prescott on the left but their attack was intercepted. With only 10 minutes or so to go Staplegrove threw everything at it, a corner was picked up on the edge of the box and a fine curling shot found the top corner leaving the keeper no chance, another corner shortly after saw the awayside get it back to 4-3 after a goal mouth scramble that eventually found the back of the net. It was nervous final minutes for Minehead but the defence did their job for a well deserved victory.

Minehead. B Bloys, A Shopland, C Disney, C Dewar, R Merrick, A Dascombe, F Foreman, T High, O Prescott, I Sweetland, R Lindley, B Summersgill &  C Beynon-Pearce

Pin It