Minehead Under 15s Football Report

Minehead under 15s were away to Staplegrove Saints on Sunday and after being 3-1 down they produced a great fight back to share points in an exciting 3-3 draw.

Staplegrove had started well with some good possession and Minehead’s back four Charlie Disney, Riley Merrick, Lewis Leach and Ajay Shopland held strong as the home side pushed forward. Minehead’s first attack came from a long ball by Ajay Shopland that Russell Lindley played in Olly Prescott whose shot curled just over. Staplegrove had a long range effort stopped by Ben Bloys in the Minehead goal but they went ahead soon after following a corner that was met at the near post and guided in for 1-0. Staplegrove doubled their advantage when Minehead failed to clear a long forward ball and with just the keeper to beat who managed to get a hand to it but couldn’t keep it out. Riley Merrick was forced out with an injury so Finley Foreman made his debut in the middle of the park and was soon seeing plenty of the ball and linking up well with Tom Barber on the right wing. Archie Dascombe and Issac Sweetland linked up and played in Henry Murrell who made a great run down the left wing crossing into the box where Russell Lindley was there to head in from the 6 yard line. Minehead had a good spell of possession up until half time as they pushed for an equaliser, Olly Prescott, Tom Barber and Issac Sweetland combined well to force a corner which was cleared, Ajay Shopland played a long ball forward for Henry Murrell to chase but his shot was over the bar, Olly Prescott had his effort stopped at the near post when he got on the end of another Henry Murrell cross, Tom Barbers free kick was saved and Lewis Leach intercepted a counter attack just before the break. Minehead had barely settled and found themselves 3-1 down following a free kick that was initially headed clear by Archie Dascombe but a fierce shot from outside the box crashed against the bar, back down off the keeper and in. Finley Foreman had to take over the gloves as Ben Bloys was taken off injured. Minehead dug deep and fought for every ball, Tom Barber played a through ball for Ben Summersgill to chase but the keeper was quickly out to gather, Olly Prescott played in Henry Murrell but his shot was just wide, then Prescott made a great run crossing in for Ben Summersgill who managed to get a touch on it but saw the ball roll agonisingly past the post. Henry Murrell tried his luck with a free kick outside the box but it curled over, then a long throw into the box by Henry Murrell saw Ben Summersgill shot deflected out for a corner which Olly Prescott whipped in and a fine header by Henry Murrell made it 3-2. Minehead had their sights set on an equaliser and kept Staplegrove pinned back in their own half, they won another corner but this time it was well cleared and a quick counter ended with a good strike which was well held by Finley Foreman. The equaliser came through a superb long range effort by Henry Murrell which left the keeper no chance and it was all square at 3-3. Tom Barber came close but his shot was wide of the post, another long throw into the box from a Henry Murrell caused the home side more problems but they managed to clear. Russell Lindley played a good through ball for Ben Summersgill and the keeper made a fine save tipping the ball onto the bar and out for another corner, Man of the Match Olly Prescott put another ball into the box but this time Henry Murrells header was just over and they had to settle for a point.

Minehead   B Bloys, A Shopland, L Leach, R Merrick, C Disney, A Dascombe, T Barber, O Prescott, H Murrell, I Sweetland, F Foreman, R Lindley, B Summersgill.

Pin It