Minehead 3 Street Reserves 1

Minehead completed a back to back league double over their opponents from The Tannery Ground with a comfortable 3-1 victory at Irnham Road.

Huffing and puffing for the first quarter of the match during which half a dozen near misses included a Matty Ronan shot from 25 yards coming back off the far post, The Blues eventually went ahead when Luke Bloys coolly converted Stefan Phillips’ defence splitting through ball with a shot which went in off the inside of the post.

Street’s first real attempt on goal came shortly afterwards when energetic dangerman Kyle Strange saw his curling shot comfortably saved by Sam Tarr.

Just before half time Guy Burns was upended when about to shoot and the dependable Phillips doubled the advantage, his spot kick going in off the inside of the post.

Street were thrown a bizarre lifeline after Minehead had put the ball into touch to enable an injured player receive treatment. Dangerman Strange (sportingly) returned the ball towards Tarr from ten yards inside the half, but the keeper’s casual attempt to gather the ball on the edge of his six yard box went horribly wrong the back-pass slipping under his foot and trickling into the goal, barely reaching the back of the net.

The game became ragged until Burns finally put the result beyond doubt with a well-executed right footed shot from 15 yards to settle the home crowds’ nerves.

Tarr atoned for his error with two fine saves during the second half.

Minehead: Sam Tarr, Callum Barnfield, Matt Cracknell, Mike Mullen, Darren Sherring, Chris Newbold, Matty Ronan, Luke Bloys, Mike Graddon, Stefan Phillips, Guy Burns
Subs: Rob Vickers, Tristan Hawkins (Both Used)

Gerry Hatrick Man of the Match: Matty Ronan

Minehead have two of their toughest league trips of the season to contend with on the next two Saturdays. This week they visit Uphill Castle who are currently above the Blues with games in hand having beaten Minehead at Irnham Road a few weeks ago. Then they visit championship favourites and current table toppers Somerton Town a week later.

Pin It